Thursday 26 September 2013

I'm not a gardener but...

I am not and never have been a gardener. I kill house plants on a regular basis. I have no idea how to grow anything. I once managed to grow some tomatoes in a grow bag and thought it was the best thing ever until I visited my friends garden with it's vegetable patch full of lettuce and cucumber and spring onions. That was the height of my gardening career and the only time in my life I ever managed to grow anything edible. But today I'm sitting here with this urge to go and dig over a patch of quite rough ground behind platform one at Hythe Station. I am one of the station adopter team members and together we decided to make this bit of rubbish covered, rocky ground into a garden for the local community. We intend to grow fruit and veg there and anyone in the Hythe who fancies joining us in this project is very welcome.

But the fact remains that I am not and have never been a gardener. And it seems, neither are my fellow team members. So we are a bunch of willing people none of whom know how to do the gardening thing. And we're making a vegetable garden on a railway station. Good thing we like a challenge!

But that's the funny thing about SOURCE, the Anglican Community in the Hythe, they are not afraid of learning something new, they are not afraid to try something out, they are comfortable with the idea of a challenge. They understand that things like gardening can be learned and are willing to learn how.
There is a sense of  'in it together'. A sense of adventure. Or maybe we are just blessing junkies. We love to bless the Hythe and it's people so much that we can't help ourselves, we have to do this garden thing!

So I bought a book, found a spade and will be found digging up the plot in the not too distant future.
And I won't be the only one...

No comments:

Post a Comment